Montag, 8. Dezember 2008

Turkey (11)

And then, at last, it was time to get ourselves to the boat and on board so our trip down Bosporus could begin.
The first thing we saw when the boat had left was Süleyman Mosque and Galatabridge (with all the shops in the lower floor).
Before it went up northward on Bosporus, our boat must then have taken a quick turn into the last bits of Marmara Waters, so we'd get to enjoy the view of Topkapi from the water side.

When I worked on the photo of this part of Beshikdash and the towering building of Ritz Carlton Hotel (I will from now on type any s with cedille as sh, since that is the sound you get from the s with cedille in Turkish), i.e. the one below, I tried to tonemap it a little bringing out the sky but ALSO the colours of the houses. Now it feels ... strange ... mostly so around the hotel building. That is why I also tried to convert the same photo into black&white, but I reall don't know which one I like better...

That modern hotel building is really quite prominent in the way it is such a modern skyscraper against Dolmabahçe Mosque, for example. Though the first of the two photos below shows Dolmabahçe Mosque and Inönü Stadium (football, for example, home of the team of Galatasaray Istanbul).

Then also Dolmabahce Palace came into view, the palace which Sultan Abdülmecit felt he needed to have in order to live somewhat "more European", built at around 1853. Before the Ottoman Sultans moved into their new residence, they had lived in Topkapi Palace.


Hamid'i Evvel Mosque on the Anatolian side of Bosporus - and Ortaköy Mosque on the European side at the "foot" of Bosporus Bridge.

And also on the Anatolian side, we came past Beylerbeyi Palace, just beyond Bosporus Bridge, and Wikipedia says about it:

Designed in the baroque style by Sarkis Balyan, Beylerbeyi Palace seems fairly restrained compared to the excesses of the earlier Dolmabahçe or Küçüksu palaces. It was commissioned by Sultan Abdülaziz (1830-1876) and built between 1861 and 1865 as a summer residence and a place to entertain visiting heads of state. Empress Eugénie of France visited Beylerbeyi on her way to the opening of the Suez Canal in 1869 and had her face slapped by the sultan's mother for daring to enter the palace on the arm of Abdül Aziz. Other regal visitors to the palace included the Duke and Duchess of Windsor.

(Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beylerbeyi_Palace )

Soon enough, the boat also passed Kuleli Askeri Military School, which we saw in the very gold light of the setting sun - the light was extra special on the night of our boat trip, I must say!

Blog-Archiv