
We saw lots and lots and lots of olive trees all around us, and often I saw those aisles going through the plantations from the top of the mountain to below, but I never got round to asking where they might have come from or what they are there for...
Right, so in the afternoon of that Tuesday, 14 October, we arrived at Ephesus. Everyone applied sun lotion, and the many vendors on the parking areas of those sights (and they were EVERYWHERE) at Ephesus also had hats and caps to offer, and I made my "slightly hairless" husband go get himself a cap there! Else he'd have burnt his "scalp"! It was sooo sunny!

I ought to have listened to Erkan's explanations, then I'd still know today what it was we saw (and my camera saw), but many things were only just "ruins" to me. A-hem...

These three columns were just looking interesting to me and my camera, but I am no longer able to tell which temple or which whatever-else they once belonged to.
Neither do I know what these columns once belonged to, but the map I found in the www also speaks of a "Temple of Serapis"... so I wouldn't want to totally exclude that possibility.
Right, so in the afternoon of that Tuesday, 14 October, we arrived at Ephesus. Everyone applied sun lotion, and the many vendors on the parking areas of those sights (and they were EVERYWHERE) at Ephesus also had hats and caps to offer, and I made my "slightly hairless" husband go get himself a cap there! Else he'd have burnt his "scalp"! It was sooo sunny!

I ought to have listened to Erkan's explanations, then I'd still know today what it was we saw (and my camera saw), but many things were only just "ruins" to me. A-hem...

But we certainly went along the "arcadiane", one of the main thoroughfares (well, sort of) of Ephesus, with arcaded buildings to both side, and we looked into places on the side, like maybe the baths of Constantinus...

But just imagine all those buildings to still be there, and intact, and fully built up! What an elaborate townscape that must have been!

What I know and remember is that one side street took us to the agora, and we also saw a smaller theatre, before much later we got to the... but that is for later! :D
But just imagine all those buildings to still be there, and intact, and fully built up! What an elaborate townscape that must have been!

These three columns were just looking interesting to me and my camera, but I am no longer able to tell which temple or which whatever-else they once belonged to.
Neither do I know what these columns once belonged to, but the map I found in the www also speaks of a "Temple of Serapis"... so I wouldn't want to totally exclude that possibility.
My research with Google Earth has helped me find out that the first two figures are part of the Memmius Monument, and the other is the relief of Nike, which used to be part of the Heracles Gate in ancient times.
I am also realising, upon looking at this famous site "from above" (Google Earth), that it is a large, large sight, and I am not sure we have really seen all of it...?!?




