Donnerstag, 4. Dezember 2008

Turkey (3)

I only got a good view and photo of Sultan-Ahmed-Mosque (or also known as "Blue Mosque") on the following day, but I decided to put it up here now, even though putting it up here does not follow my chronology of taking the photos - but does that really matter?
And while still waiting for Erkan to be back with our admission tickets into the mosque, I saw (and found interesting enough for a photo) that fried-corn-on-a-cob vendor, and while we already were part of the queue waiting to get into the mosque, I saw that mother and her daughter and thought the photo was worth being taken, too. The child might appear to be asleep on her shoulder, true fact was, however, that a friend or aunt or whoever else was there, too (outside my frame, though) making fun with the little girl and she was giggling herself silly there :D .

Closer and closer to the entrance, it was, in fact, DH (thanks to him!) who alerted me to the little shoe still life which caught his attention and made him say "Hey, I think you MUST take a photo of those!", pointing to the shoes, and wasn't he right??? And as a photo I could take of "Blue Mosque" on that very day, while we were waiting in order to get our tickets, this wide angle photo was the only one I got, and yes, I know, the distortion is horrible, but that was all I could do.

Once inside the Blue Mosque (and during prayer hour, at that) we all felt a little overwhelmed by its size and ornaments, and the windows indicate why it may be called "Blue Mosque", though red and gold were the predominant colours otherwise. One little boy was apparently celebrating his circumcision and was being photographed by all his family, so I secretly took advantage and took his photo, too. He never realised that.

All visiting tourists were kept to the walk-through area of the mosque, outside the praying area, though we were not allowed to wear our shoes in that area, either, but were carrying them in a little plastic bag.

So I had to zoom myself into some of the scenes, carefully avoiding to use any flash at all (the other tourists were as careful, I must say, which I liked).

Quite impressive! And quiet, despite the masses of tourists streaming into the mosque on one side and leaving it again on the other. Much respect was shown.

Blog-Archiv